|Grades K–12||Grades K–5||Grades 6–12|
"In small groups, we are smarter. In well-structured groups, we leverage each other's thinking. We learn more not just because we all bring different pieces of the puzzle, but because, through talk, we can actually make new and better meaning together."" —Stephanie Harvey & Harvey "Smokey" DanielsComprehension & Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action
Comprehension & Collaboration serves as a guide for teachers who want to realize the benefits of well-structured, cross-curricular projects. In this book, Steph and Smokey present:
- 10 classroom conditions needed for active, small-group learning
- 19 profiles of small-group inquiry circles in action that bring strategies and principles to life
- 27 practical lessons in comprehension, collaboration, and inquiry
- how-to instructions for 4 types of inquiry circles-mini-inquiries; curricular inquiries; literature circle inquiries; and open inquiries
Throughout, chapters offer a mix of materials for you to grab and go as well as some big ideas to think through as you customize inquiry circles for your students.
- Sample: Excerpt from Chapter 1: Kids Want to Know More
- Sample: Excerpt from Chapter 4: What We Know About Inquiry
- Sample: 6 Sample lessons from Chapter 7: Key Lessons in Comprehension
- Sample: Collaboration & Inquiry Excerpt from Chapter 8: Mini-Inquiries
- Sample: Small-Group Inquiry Project: Slavery and Child Labor from Chapter 9: Curricular Inquiries
- VIDEO: Listen to Stephanie Harvey and Smokey Daniels discuss Comprehension and Collaboration
- VIDEO: Watch a video about the roll of technology in inquiry circles
- VIDEO: Watch an interview with the Principal and Vice Principal of Chicago's Burley School about helping teachers excel at inquiry-based learning
These DVD companions to Comprehension & Collaboration use compelling video footage to share new strategies for comprehension and collaboration and show inquiry circles in action. With a special emphasis on how to organize and manage well-structured cross-curricular projects, these instructional DVDs show you how to:
- engage students as you unleash their curiosity across the curriculum
- explicitly model and teach strategic thinking and collaboration
- teach your curriculum and meet standards the inquiry way.
Let Steph and Smokey guide you through classrooms that burst with energy, excitement, and achievement.